American Canoe Association, Inc.
National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Downriver Committee
Chapter I - NAME
This committee shall be known as the National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Downriver Committee of the American Canoe Association, Inc. (WWOCD COMMITTEE).
Chapter II - BY-LAWS
These By-laws provide information and procedures for the organization and function of the National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Committee.
A. National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Committee Mission and Purpose
1. The Constitution of the American Canoe Association, Inc. states: The purpose of this Association is to unite all persons interested in canoeing and thereby through our organization to provide educational, informational and training services to increase safety, enjoyment and skills of those canoeing on rivers, lakes, estuaries and other bodies of water. The purpose of the WWOCD COMMITTEE is to encourage, sanction and sponsor amateur competition in ...Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver ... at local, regional, national, and international levels. This shall be our mission.
2. The National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Committee’s (WWOCD) purpose is to fulfill the American Canoe Association, Inc. mandate to, promulgate and enforce the Racing Rules and Regulations of the Association governing our branch of the sport, and shall include in such rules the definition of a competitor , standard classification of hulls and rigs, specifications of courses, designation of necessary officials with the duties and powers allotted to each, method of conducting races and awards of points or prizes, procedures for appeals from decisions of officials, set registration fees, and any other rules necessary to the proper conduct of competition. And further, the members of the National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Committee shall cause annual, National Championship Regattas, to be held at such time and place as it may select.
B. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE BY-LAWS REVISIONS
1. Amendments to the WWOCD Committee By-laws shall be by a majority vote of the WWOCD Committee.
2. Any proposed amendment must be presented initially to the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman.
3. A 30-day written notice of proposed amendments shall be provided to WWOCD COMMITTEE members; the notice shall state the exact wording of the proposed amendment and the rationale for the change.
Chapter III - NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE
A. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
1. Voting members of the WWOCD COMMITTEE shall consist of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman, WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representatives and WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-large. At least 20% of the WWOCD COMMITTEE shall be made up of individuals who are actively engaged in Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver competition.
2. Divisions that have not conducted a WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Championship, or has not been represented by one or more competitive participants in the WWOCD COMMITTEE National Championship Regattas in any of the three preceding years, shall have voice but no vote in the Committee.
B. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN
1. The term of office of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be two years beginning the first day of the calendar year following the election. The Chairmanship may not be filled for more than four (4) consecutive years by members from any given Division; two years must elapse before members from that division are eligible to fill that office; this rule may be waived by 2/3 vote of the Committee.
2. Every two years, the incumbent WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall seek nominations for the office of WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman. During the year, the incumbent WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall conduct (or have conducted) a vote of WWOCD COMMITTEE members (registered WWOCD COMMITTEE members) for the selection of WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman. The vote shall be completed on or before the meeting of the ACA Congress in the winter.
3. A majority vote of the WWOCD COMMITTEE shall be necessary for the election of Chairman.
4. The WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be an ACA Governing member thoroughly experienced in that activity and a Registered WWOCD COMMITTEE member.
5. The duties of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be to call and to preside over WWOCD COMMITTEE meetings, to maintain the records of the WWOCD COMMITTEE, and to act on behalf of the WWOCD COMMITTEE between WWOCD COMMITTEE meetings. The National WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman, (or his/her deputy) as a member of Council, should attend Council Meetings.
6. If the WWOCD COMMITTEE fails to fulfill its role in electing a WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman, then a WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be designated by the President of the American Canoe Association, Inc.
7. If a WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman is unable to complete the normal term of office, a WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be designated by the President of the American Canoe Association, Inc.
C. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE DIVISIONAL REPRESENTATIVES
1. The WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representatives shall be a Governing Member of the ACA, and a Registered Committee Member.
2. The WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representatives shall be elected annually from the qualifying members of each Division. The name of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representative shall be forwarded to the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman and the ACA National Office prior to December 15th of each year. If no WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representative is named, then the Division shall have no vote on the WWOCD COMMITTEE, unless a WWOCD COMMITTEE Member-at-Large is from said Division.
3. The WWOCD COMMITTEE Divisional Representative shall be responsible for promoting an annual Divisional Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Regatta, attending annual National WWOCD COMMITTEE Meetings, and assisting at the National Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Regatta.
D. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE
1. WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large are nominated by the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman and approved by the WWOCD COMMITTEE itself, by majority vote. They must be ACA Governing Members, and Registered WWOCD COMMITTEE Members.
2. The numbers of WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large shall not exceed five individuals; no more than two shall be from the same Division.
3. The term of office of WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large shall be two years, with the exception of the immediate past Chairman, who will remain in office until a new Chairman is elected.
4. The immediate past WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall be a WWOCD COMMITTEE Member-at-Large without the election requirement, and will remain a Member-at-Large until a new Chairman is elected.
5. WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large are voting members of the WWOCD COMMITTEE.
6. The duties of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large shall be to support and to promote the activities of the WWOCD COMMITTEE. They may be selected to represent special interests such as manufacturers or publishers, or slalom or downriver paddlers.
E. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE MEETINGS
1. The WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman shall call at least two WWOCD COMMITTEE Meetings annually. A general meeting of all WWOCD COMMITTEE Members and the WWOCD COMMITTEE during the National WWOCD Regatta, and the Annual Meeting of the WWOCD COMMITTEE just prior to the winter ACA Congress.
2. A 30-day notification of the meetings and an agenda shall be provided to all registered WWOCD COMMITTEE members.
3. If the WWOCD COMMITTEE Chairman is unable to preside at the meeting, the immediate past Chairman of the WWOCD COMMITTEE shall preside at the meeting.
4. A quorum shall be 50% of the voting members of the WWOCD COMMITTEE Committee.
5. The permanent agenda shall include:
a. Financial report, and budget
b. Election of WWOCD COMMITTEE Members-at-Large
c. Location and timing of WWOCD COMMITTEE Meetings
d. Revisions to the WWOCD COMMITTEE Bylaws
e. Revisions to the WWOCD COMMITTEE Racing Rules
f. Consider National Regatta site bids
6. An absent WWOCD COMMITTEE Member may have an ACA Governing Member carry a proxy or act as a deputy. The proxy shall be in writing, dated, and signed. The proxy shall state the name of the person authorized to carry the proxy and the extent of authorization given the bearer on behalf of the absent WWOCD COMMITTEE Member.
F. NATIONAL WHITEWATER OPEN CANOE DOWNRIVER COMMITTEE VACANCIES
1. In the event of a vacancy occurring in the WWOCD COMMITTEE a successor for the unexpired portion of the term shall be elected by a majority vote of the members of the Committee. The vote may be held by mail, and conducted by the Chairman. If such vote is not conducted within thirty (30) days, after the vacancy, the President is empowered to appoint a successor for the unexpired portion of the term.
Chapter IV - ENACTING AND SAVING CLAUSE